20 October 2008

awww....

I spent the weekend with in-laws and their new baby (two months old and really far too cute). The awe-inspiring thing? They are actually reading the Ultimate First Book Guide and thinking seriously about books and reading. Amazing - and deeply touching. Why? Maybe as editor I feel almost as if the books slide off into a vague 'elsewhere', where they look pretty on shelves but don't get used. But this baby? Oh, no, his reading will be shaped by the book and the info inside it. Like I said, awe-inspiring indeed!

And as a 'leaving work for maternity leave' present, everyone at sister-in-law's workplace bought a copy of the book they remember loving most as a child. The whole collection was popped into a hamper with some pretty baby stuff and smellies for the mum. What a lovely idea...

5 comments:

Daniel said...

Actually *using* one of our guides? Some people just have no idea...

Richard Hanks said...

I've just started a job with Reading Matters, a charity who place volunteers in schools to help children who are struggling with their reading.

The first thing I did before I even started the job was plough through the Ultimate Book Guide, making a list of the fantastic books I needed to catch up on. Great stuff.

Leonie said...

I know...

But very sweet, actually, don't you think?

Daniel said...

Thanks, Richard, very glad you're enjoying it. I've heard about Reading Matters, of course, and seems to do brilliant work.

[And yes, Leonie, of course really very pleasing :) ]

D.

Leonie said...

Thanks, Richard, it really is good to know that the books get read - feedback is always wonderful! Your own blog looks interesting, I'm going to have a poke around there later - what you're doing is great.