18 April 2008

CILIP Carnegie and Kate Greenaway 2008

Like the arrival of the first swallows, the arrival of the Carnegie/Greenaway prize shortlist is a sure sign that Spring is springing...

An this year, yet again, the Carnegie list is fascinating, with more than a few top-end titles in the mix. Well, actually there's only two books that are really general children's books - as opposed to 12+/teen:

CRUSADE by Elizabeth Laird
GATTY'S TALE by Kevin Crossley-Holland
RUBY RED by Linzi Glass (12+)
APACHE by Tanya Landman (12+)
HERE LIES ARTHUR by Philip Reeve (12+)
WHAT I WAS by Meg Rosoff (12+)
FINDING VIOLET PARK by Jenny Valentine (12+)


The Greenaway list is far less contentious:

SILLY BILLY by Anthony Browne
PENGUIN by Polly Dunbar
LITTLE MOUSE'S BIG BOOK OF FEARS by Emily Gravett
MONKEY AND ME by Emily Gravett
THE LOST HAPPY ENDINGS by Carol Ann Duffy, illustrated by Jane Ray
OTTOLINE AND THE YELLOW CAT by Chris Riddell
BANANA! by Ed Vere

The link to the CILIP pages with all the info is http://www.carnegiegreenaway.org.uk/2008awards/carnegie_shortlist.php

My personal vote? For the Carnegie, Crusade by Elizabeth Laird and for the Greenaway Penguin by Polly Dunbar (though Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears would be a close second!)

2 comments:

Daniel said...

There are three on the Carnegie I don't know, but of the ones I've read my vote goes without hesitation to Philip Reeve - 'Here Lies Arthur' is an imaginative, original opening up of an apparently familiar story, with a lot of superb, strong writing.

The Greenaway list I'm finding much harder to choose from. There are no fewer than four books I absolutely love on it (and I like the other three too); probably if I had to choose, I think I'd go for..., no, can't do it. Ottoline. No, Little Mouse. No. Damn! Banana? Penguin? Help! Umm...

Glad I'm not supposed to be judging this...

D.

Leonie said...

La is most happy about Apache, which she loved - so I guess we have one contributor *g*

As for being glad not to be a judge? Oh, yes... absolutely!