21 March 2012

The Abominables by Eva Ibbotson

The Abominables is about a mountaineer called Lady Agatha, who discovers yetis in a secret valley called Nanvi dar and she raises them as her own. When the yetis are fully-grown she schools them, which includes teaching them to talk as well as other things that will make them ready to live around other people. When she gets old she wants the yetis to go to her home in England and then story then becomes about a young boy called Consti who befriends Lady Agatha whom she entrusts to get the yetis to England. The yetis have many adventures along the way, they meet different characters and learn lessons along the way. This is a book about friendship, challenges and yetis.

This is a good book with a very unusual story. One doesn’t expect people to raise yetis. The author has also made a myth come real. My favourite character was definitely Perry

He loved pigs and his dream was to invent the Perry Porkington Pig breed. The ending of the book was quite surprising but it made sense as a whole story. The book was so good when I read it I just couldn’t put it down, I lost all of my other thoughts because whenever I put it down I always wanted to know what happened next. I found it interesting that the author did not complete the book, it just shows you don’t have to be a professional writer to write a great book (editor’s note: Eva Ibbotson sadly died last year, and the unfinished manuscript was found in her desk. Her son finished the work for her – he is not a professional writer). A five star read I highly recommend it.

By Andreas Horder age 10

No comments: