22 September 2009

Teen prize shortlist

If feels like such a long time since we announced our longlist back in July, but now, at last...

I'm delighted to report that our shortlist for the Booktrust Teenage Prize was announced today.

The six books we've chosen are:
A good, good selection, strong and interesting. I'm very pleased with it indeed. Very good, bold books all. Varying greatly, each from the other, but every one very engaging, every one very thought-provoking; sometimes moving, often very ambitious, with six quite different writing voices and six quite different moods. Any one of them is well worth a read - or read all of them!

I'm planning to re-read them all before we have our next (and final) judging meeting in November, and I'm looking forward to the treat...

Meantime let me know any thoughts - do you agree with our choices? What are you pleased to see recognised? What's your favourite teen book of the year that we inexplicably overlooked? Very keen to hear any feedback...

2 comments:

Noga said...

Yes, good list, though not read all of them. Auslander sounds intriguing.
Still hoping that Keith wins, that book deserves at least one prize. A&A is very good, but surely PN can't win again? Looking forward to the announcement - when's the ceremony and are you getting me an invite?

Daniel said...

Glad you like. I know you've read The Ant Colony too, and I think the Gaiman - so only Auslander and Katharina Linden to go? Do read them. Really I think all six are just excellent...

(And yes, I'm sure I can ask Booktrust nicely for an invitation for you... It's lunchtime on November 18th.)